You can purchase just about anything online—and sometimes you can find some gorgeous wedding gowns online if you know where to look (check out some tips on buying dresses online below). But many couples still love the appeal of going in person to a bridal salon to try on dresses with her bridal crew. For some brides, trying on dresses in NYC bridal shops is one of the best parts of wedding planning! Imagine that moment when you slip on the perfect gown—or alternative style if dresses aren’t your thing—and saying “Yes!” to the dress. Then, you can make it a day by getting brunch and mimosas after.
In a city so large and bursting with talented designers, you may feel overwhelmed by the selection of bridal shops in Brooklyn. As an experienced NYC wedding photographer, I hear all the buzz around wedding dresses. A few NYC bridal shops pop up in conversation over and over—for both good and bad reasons. Obviously, you only want the good. So, I thought it might be helpful to provide future brides with a handy NYC wedding dress guide. No matter your budget or style, these exceptional bridal shops excel in quality, service, and style.
(If you’re hosting a fusion or Asian wedding, you may find this post featuring Modern Cheongsam Styles helpful as well.)
Tips for Wedding Dress Shopping in NYC
But first things first…
When should I order my wedding dress?
If you’re looking at designer or custom wedding gowns or suits, aim to order your dress 9-12 months before your wedding date. The store will have samples, but you’ll need to allow time for them to place the order for your exact style, customization, and color—plus additional time for alterations (up to two rounds if needed).
If you’re purchasing a dress off the rack, 4-5 months may work. Just be sure to allow time for alterations if needed. (You can save money if you buy off the rack as well!)
Who should I bring with me to my dress fittings?
Only you can answer this question. Some brides prefer to have one other person with them—someone they can trust yet isn’t too pushing, and some want to bring along the whole crew! Just remember that the more people you invite, the more opinions you’ll have (which can be challenging at times!) This is your special occasion, so don’t feel pressured to bring everyone if that seems overwhelming to you.
*Be sure to check with the bridal salon before inviting friends or family. Some bridal shops only allow a couple guests to attend with you and ask that you stick to a 1-2 hour appointment time. Let them know how many guests will be in attendance during the fitting for planning and seating purposes.
Best NYC Bridal Shops
And without further ado, here is your list of NYC bridal shops in Brooklyn and the surrounding areas. These range in style, salon size, and price, yet all excel in quality and service. A few wedding dress tailors and alterations shops are listed below as well.
- Designer Loft Bridal, New York, NY | Book a Fitting
- Lotus Bridal Salon, Brooklyn, NY | Book a Fitting
- Paisley Bridal Salon, Queens, NY | Book a Fitting
- The White Gown, New York, NY | Book a Fitting
- *Kleinfeld Bridal Salon, New York, NY | Book a Fitting
(Bridal salon featured in the TV show, “Say ‘Yes’ to the Dress”)
- Seng Couture, Fanwood, NJ | Book a Fitting
- *Rosita Butchey, Glen Oaks, NY | Book a Fitting
(Custom-designed gowns, suits, accessories, and more. Tailoring and vintage redesign services offered as well.)
- *Loulette Bride, Brooklyn, NY | Book a Fitting
(Custom-designed wedding gowns, jumpsuits, and more—in-studio)
- Agency 8, Brooklyn NY | Book a Fitting
- Bridal Reflections, New York, NY | Book a Fitting
- *Kamaal Kadri Bespoke, New York, NY | Book a Fitting
(Custom men’s suits)
- Diana Mahrach Couture, New York, NY | Book a Fitting
- WONÁ bridal, New York, NY | Book a Fitting
- VERA’S Bridal, Englewood, NJ | Book a Fitting
- Ellen’s Couture, New York, NY | Book a Fitting
- Grace Loves Lace New York, New York, NY | Book a Fitting
- *Les Aimants, Brooklyn, NY | Book a Fitting
(Bridal Lab for Unconventional Brides)
- *Les Downtown, New York, NY | Book a Fitting
(Custom bespoke suits for the female body)
- Blossom Brides, Long Island, NY | Book a Fitting
NYC Wedding Dress Alterations | Wedding Dress Tailors
Maybe you already bought your dress or have a family heirloom gown you would like to redesign or restore. Many of these places also do wedding dress preservation so you can pass down your own gown in pristine condition one day! Here are some of the best wedding dress tailors in New York City:
- *Bridgestone Cleaners, Brooklyn, NY | Book an Appointment
(Vintage restoration, tailoring, and gown preservation available)
- AMadden Tailoring, Brooklyn, NY | Book an Appointment
- *Francesca DiSpirito Styling, New York, NY | Book an Appointment
(Bridal styling concierge—bridal styling services)
- Selene Bridal Alterations, New York, NY | Book an Appointment
- Sew Elegant Bridal, New York, NY | Book an Appointment
- Bridal Alterations by Bridal MD, New York, NY | Book an Appointment
Tips for Buying Your Wedding Dress Online
If you do decide to purchase your wedding attire online, here are a few tips to ensure the best fit and buying experience:
1. Take all measurements as accurately as possible with tailor’s tape. Here’s an easy clothing measurement tutorial to help you out with your measurements (be sure to scroll down to the women’s clothing section if applicable). You may still need alterations once your garment arrives, but this will help ensure the best fit possible.
2. Purchase from a reliable retailer. Ideally, you want to stick to brands you know and trust. If the deal looks too good to be true, it probably is. The website quality—design, content, speed, tools and contact info—is actually a pretty good indication. Yet phony images and copy/paste content often translates to a phony company or poor quality. Check to see:
- where the dress is made
- authentic, 360-degree photos or video of the dresses
- customer reviews
- return/exchange policy
- contact information
3. Reach out to the company so you know when to expect your wedding attire to arrive.
4. Read the fine print. What is the store policy for returns and exchanges. As with most retailers, the tags must remain on the dress and there should be no signs of wear or tear in order to return. Generally, altered attire cannot be returned or exchanged.
Book Your NYC Wedding with Sasha Chou Photography
Sasha Chou is a boutique NYC engagement, wedding, and maternity photographer. We specialize in timeless, photojournalistic images. Discover our style by visiting our portfolio here. Learn more about the dedicated Sasha Chou Photography team here.