Do you dream of getting married in the Big Apple? It’s easier – and more affordable – than you might think! What couples coming from overseas need to tie the knot in New York City:
1. An Officiant / An Appointment at the City Clerk’s Office
Depending on the vibe you’re going for, you can easily hire a private officiant and exchange your vows just about anywhere! Dreaming of a romantic ceremony at New York Harbor? Can’t wait to say, “I do!” in Central Park? Find an officiant and make it happen!
Want a once-in-a-lifetime experience? Visit the City Clerk’s Office (or go online) the day before you want to wed, and make an appointment. You must wait 24 hours before you can legally get married. The next day, sit among other happy couples from all over the world and share your stories until your number is called – an amazingly unique experience if you love people and have some time on your hands.
2. A Little Extra Time
It takes 24 hours to obtain a marriage license. If you’re coming from overseas like many other couples from the UK or Australia, you’ll need to obtain the extended marriage certificate to ensure that it’s valid in your home country. You can sightsee and enjoy a short walk as you head over the notary and obtain your Apostille (all in the same general area). In total, you’ll spend about $50.
3. A Location
If you’re hiring an officiant, make arrangements with your venue ahead of time or schedule your visit if needed. For Central Park, all you need is your marriage license and an officiant!
4. A Place to Stay
Because you’ll be here for at least 24 hours, find a comfortable place to stay and relax while you’re here! Even if you plan on honeymooning elsewhere, it’s fun to indulge a little during your stay in one of the world’s most iconic cities!
5. A Photographer 😉
Don’t forget to document the moment! Even if you’re having a short, intimate vow exchange with just the two of you, you will be so glad to have professional images to look back on later. An experienced photographer from NYC will also be able to help you answer any questions and navigate your elopement plans! Connect with me to get started!
And as a side note, here are a few of my favorite hotels that are just as convenient as they are luxurious:
1. 1 Hotel We’ll start with #1 – literally! This eco-friendly hotel has two prime locations near the Brooklyn Bridge and Central Park. If you’re looking for stunning natural views in the middle of the city, this is the perfect option of a relaxing retreat.
2. Public Hotel Looking for something modern and trendy with the best cityscape views? Try this refined hotel with an impeccable design for privacy and relaxation.
3. 3 West Club In love with all things historical? This exquisite historic hotel mansion feels like Old New York with a luxurious boutique style – perfect for newlyweds who want a truly elegant and traditional wedding vibe.
4. The Whitby Hotel This one feels like home. Charming cozy rooms are filled with perfect pops of color, and they pride themselves on flawless design and décor. Situated in upper midtown Manhattan, you’ll be close to all the best restaurants, shops, and entertainment – plus just two blocks from Central Park!
5. The Bowery Hotel Looking for something a little different? This quirky little hotel has all the charm you need for a New York City elopement with equal parts trendy coolness and old-school luxury.
6. CitizenM Hotel Why leave Times Square? This modern hotel will let you take in all of the nightlife in the comfort of your own luxurious suite!
7. Gramercy Park Hotel Extravagant. Exclusive. Extraordinary. This is certainly the grandest and most luxurious on this list. The entire hotel is a work of art with masterpieces hanging from floor to ceiling – certainly a worthwhile experience for newlyweds!